As Ambassadors, Christy and I would like to highlight Brown Swiss youth from across the nation. This month we feature a youth from Pennsylvania. Enjoy reading about his Brown Swiss career and look for more articles showcasing youth in the coming months!
-Elise Regusci, National Youth Ambassador ‘16-’17
-Christy Achen, National Alternate Youth Ambassador ‘16-’17
Kyle Kucas, Pennsylvania
1. Introduce yourself. Tell about where you are from, your family, and farm name.
My name is Kyle Kucas and I reside in Hathfield, Pennsylvania. I am 19 years old and work on Drew Buchtel’s farm in Pennsylvania.
2. What are your chores and responsibilities on the farm or with your cattle?
On Buchtel’s farm I feed and walk my show cattle. At shows I maintain and prepare the animals for show.
3. How did you get started in the Brown Swiss breed?
It started out with my two cousins owning and showing Brown Swiss cattle. They asked me to help them at a show and now I own two of my own heifers - I just fell in love with them.
4. What are your school and extracurricular activities? How can you advocate dairy farming during these activities and to your peers?
I do rodeo on the weekends, and also enjoy hunting, fishing, and living every day. I am pretty active in my local and state 4-H program and have found that to be a great opportunity to teach others about dairy farming. I like educating people about dairy products and when I am at 4-H events or a show, I bring dairy promotional info and “Got Milk?” bracelets to hand out.
5. How would you explain Brown Swiss dairy cattle to someone who has no understanding of them?
I would let people know that they are a laid back animal, and probably the most docile of the dairy breeds.
6. What is the wackiest name you ever used to name a cow?
Badger, because she was from Wisconsin.
7. One word you would use to describe Brown Swiss:
8. What local, state, or national Brown Swiss contests have you competed in?
I have shown Swiss at the All-American Dairy Show, and was chosen as a delegate from PA to go to the National Dairy Conference at the World Dairy Expo.