Brown Swiss Association Member:
This is the web address for the database or you can click on one of the cow face database links on the Brown Swiss website.
Click the Brown Swiss radio button and Enter your login and password.
Note: IN THIS SYSTEM YOU NEVER USE THE ENTER KEY. You can use the tab key or mouse to advance from login to password.
You must use your mouse to move to the “Login” on the bottom of the page. This will give you “Success” in the top box.
In the Maroon Box on the left you will see Main, click on that. This will give you Reports and Open and Post Order.
Reports are not hard to use. Try them out! All Reports are free and offer a wealth of information.
Click on the underlined report you want to see. Select your options in the white boxes. All Reports with the exception of the “Cow Evaluation List” have default selection criteria. As you work with the reports, you will discover many ways to manipulate the parameters to create different sets of information you may be interested in. After you select your options, click on “Submit” at the bottom of the page. Towards the top of the Yellow section next to “Run Reports” an underlined report name will appear. Click on this to you see your report. To return to the “Reports” page, use your Back button. When finished with Reports, click on BS Home towards the top on the left side of the page.
NOTE: IF YOU MODIFY THE REPORT FROM THE DEFAULT SELECTION, AFTER YOU CLICK ON SUBMIT AND THE REPORT APPEARS AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE, THE SEARCH BOXES WILL REVERT TO THE DEFAULT CRITERIA. HOWEVER, THE REPORT THAT YOU RAN WILL HAVE THE CRITERIA YOU SELECTED.
To Register Animals or Order Pedigrees, You MUST first open a work order.
Click on Open and Post Order in the maroon bar on the left. If you are on BSA/PTPR, it is important that you put in your DHI herd code in the box next to Herd each time you open an order. You need this to be there before you open the order. This allows the system to correctly charge based on BSA fees. You do not need to do this to see the reports. After your herd code is in the Herd Box, continue to the bottom of the Yellow box and click on the gray box “Open Order”. At the top it will say "Success". Next to “Order Number” you will see an order number.
To order pedigrees, go to Create Pedigrees in the left hand Maroon box.
NOTE: While it does say Registration and Transfer above the Create Pedigrees, only office personnel are allowed to transfer ownership for animals. Transfers continue to require signed applications in the office.
This will give you a page on which to get pedigrees. Click on 3gen. These are pedigrees you can print yourself after you post your order. "Official" are $5 pedigrees printed and sent from the national office, you cannot print them yourself. As a BSA member you get the 3gen for $2 versus $3 regular price. The skeleton pedigrees are free when ordered externally. Make sure that you select the right sex; the default is female and needs to be changed to retrieve a male.
After you have put in the animal’s registration numbers and click on “Submit These Animals for Processing”, the box at the top will display “Success” and the name of the animals will be to the right of the page next to their numbers. NOTE: Once the names of the animals appear, do not hit the submit for processing button again as this will generate another set of the pedigrees and double charge you. If you want to get more pedigrees on this order, click on the "open and post order" in the left hand column, and then select “Create Pedigree” again.
NOTE: Always check the box at the top which indicates “Success” or displays “Unable to process your request-Please verify animals ID”. In most cases, this will mean that you probably did not change the sex box or if entering an 840 number, you did not change the country to United States 840.
After the pedigrees are generated, go back to Open and Post Order in the Maroon box on the left and click on the gray box “Submit Order” at the bottom of the page on the left in the yellow section. The message box at the top should read, “Order Number Posted Successfully”.
IMPORTANT: TO ACCESS YOUR PEDIGREES, YOU MUST CLICK ON "VIEW ORDERS" AFTER THE “ORDER NUMBER POSTED SUCCESSFULLY” IS IN THE BOX. This step is the one that has caused the most confusion for people new to the system. If you have more than one order posted that we have not yet processed in the office, a new page will appear. In the yellow section of the page to the left of the order that you want, click on the gray box that has “Find” in it. Using this “Find” will bring up that order.
After you have done this, then go to Work Order Line Item in the left hand Maroon box and click on it. This will take you to a page that will show you the name of the animals underlined, click on one of those and it will bring up that pedigree. You may then print the pedigree on your printer or save it to your computer. NOTE: You need to have Adobe Acrobat Reader on your computer for this to function. After you are done with that pedigree, use the “Back” button on your computer to return to your order. Repeat for each pedigree in your order.
When you are done with your order, click on either Open and Post Order in the Maroon box on the left of the page or BS Home at the top left hand part of the page.
Registering An Animal
Before you register a calf, make sure that you have an order open. If you have posted your order, you will have to open a new order. Once you have an order open, to register click on Register Animal in the left hand Maroon column. This will bring up the page for registration.
Directions from the top of the page:
NOTE: IN THE FOLLOWING WHERE WE HAVE WRITTEN THAT THE SYSTEM WILL PROVIDE INFORMATION AUTOMATICALLY, YOU WILL NOT SEE THE RESULTS UNTIL YOU HAVE “UPDATED” THE APPLICATION. WE WILL RETURN TO THIS AT THE END OF THE INSTRUCTIONS.
- The Registration Date is automatically filled in.
- Make sure you have the right sex. The default is “F” for female. If you are registering a bull, you need to change this box to “M”.
- Fill in the date of birth.
- The next box is to distinguish between registering live or dead animals. The default is for live. If you are registering a dead animal, you must change this box.
- If you are registering a calf from an embryo, YOU MUST FILL IN THIS BOX WITH THE EMBRYO ID. You cannot register a calf produced from an embryo without an embryo ID. If you are registering a calf produced from an embryo, you DO NOT FILL IN THE SIRE AND DAM INFORMATION FURTHER DOWN THE PAGE. The system automatically supplies that information. Also, the system will automatically add “ET” to the calf’s name. DO NOT PUT IN THE BREEDING DATE FOR EMBRYOS.
- The next box is for multiple births. If the calf you are registering is a single, you do not need to change this box. However, if the calf is from a multiple birth, you need to change this box.
- The next two boxes are for ID. ID is either tattoos OR AIN numbers from permanent NDHIA, National FAIR, CRI tag or tag from other licensed provider. NOTE: THIS WILL ALSO BE THE ANIMAL'S REGISTRATION NUMBER IF YOU ARE USING THE TAGS. WE WILL RETURN TO THIS FARTHER DOWN THE PAGE. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ON THIS POINT PLEASE CALL THE OFFICE.
- Date bred if available. If you are registering an ET calf, please adjust accordingly. For instance if the embryo was implanted on June 8 put in June 1.
- Fill in either the sire's name in the box next to “Sire Search Name” or the registration number in the box next to reg. NOTE: Using the sire’s registration number is quicker than using the name. NOTE: IF THE CALF IS A PRODUCT OF AN EMBRYO, DO NOT FILL IN THE SIRE OR DAM INFORMATION.
- Repeat step 9 for the dam. NOTE: IF THE CALF IS A PRODUCT OF AN EMBRYO, DO NOT FILL IN THE SIRE OR DAM INFORMATION.
- DO NOT FILL IN THE BREEDER, ORIGINAL OWNER AND CURRENT OWNER BOXES WITH NOTED FOLLOWING EXCEPTIONS. The system automatically supplies this information from the dam’s ownership status. The only time you supply the information in this section is when you are registering a Recorded Females (RF) out of a non-Brown Swiss dam OR registering an Identified Female (ID-Step I).
- If you have an Off Color Spot calf, you change the OCS box to “YES” next to color. If you change this box to YES, the system will automatically add “OCS” to the calf’s name.
- “AI Service” is not a required field; however, if you know, please provide the correct information.
- You do not need to do anything with “Breed’ or “Nation”.
- Fill in the name you want to use for your animal.
- If the owner of the dam at the time of breeding has a registered prefix, that prefix will be added to the name automatically. If it is not a registered prefix, it will need to be added. ALWAYS CHECK THE NAME LISTED BELOW THE NAME FIELD AFTER YOU HIT UPDATE.
1. In some cases, a prefix may not actually have each person assigned who can use it, as in the case of family members. Other situations arise when an animal is owned by multiple people who have agreed to use a certain prefix.
- If the calf is an ET, OCS, TWIN, TRIPLET, these will be automatically supplied by the system providing you selected the correct options in each section.
- Leave the number box blank UNLESS you are registering a calf that has a permanent AIN number. If you supplied an AIN number in the visible ID field above, fill in this box with the same complete number. (840 numbers are 15 digits.) PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT IT IS THE SAME NUMBER.
- At the bottom of the page, hit the “Update” button. This will fill in all the automatically supplied data, providing the system does not find any missing information or edits. The box at the top of the page will have “Success” in it if there are no edits required. If there are edit problems, the box will have a question or statement relating to the edit.
- Review the updated information to make sure that it is correct. (NOTE: PLEASE DOUBLE CHECK THE PREFIX. IF NOT FILLED IN, ADD THE PREFIX IN THE NAME BOX AND CLICK THE UPDATE BUTTON AGAIN.)
- If all information is correct, hit the gray box with “REGISTER” in it at the bottom of the page. NOTE: IF YOU NEED A RUSH, MAKE SURE YOU CLICK ON THAT BOX. YOU WILL RECEIVE A MESSAGE TO CALL THE OFFICE SO THAT WE CAN PROCESS IT FOR YOU.
- At this time, a second level of edit checks is performed, including name length and if you supplied an AIN registration number. If the animal is accepted for registration “Success-Animal Number is *****” will appear in the success box at the top of the page. The number provided is the animal’s registration number. The rest of the screen will be blank and you can register the next animal.
- IF EDIT IS REQUIRED, common edits at this point include the following:
- If the name is too long, make an adjustment in the “Name” box and hit “Update”, Check it, and then hit “Register”.
- If you supply an AIN number for registration, the box at the top of the page will have “Registration Number out of Range for Breed BS.” If this happens, at the bottom of the page on the right side a new gray button will appear with “Override” in it. This button will only appear when you see the above message in the top box. Use the “Override” button and the calf will be registered with the AIN number. You will get the “Success Animal Registered -Registration number" in message.
To post, follow the same steps as for posting pedigrees. NOTE YOU CAN BOTH GET PEDIGREES AND REGISTER ON THE SAME ORDER. Also each animal registered will have a free pedigree provided for you. If you have any questions, please call the office at 608-365-4474.