2015 International Show Report
It was a beautiful fall day as exhibitors brought their heifers to the ring for the start of the International Brown Swiss show on September 30 to parade across the royal blue colored shavings. Judge Paul Trapp of Taylor, Wisconsin, and his associate Tom Foss of Cambridge, Minnesota, served as the officials for the two-day event. Approximately 350 total head were exhibited in Madison, Wisconsin, during the event.
A very strong heifer show ensued on Thursday evening with 174 calves and yearlings gracing the tanbark. Two heifers sorted themselves to the top for the judge’s choices of Junior Champion. Judge Trapp commented: “Three heifers stood out from the pack for us today. That Fall Calf with that big deep rib and that Spring Yearling with loads of style and the Fall Yearling a very, very complete heifer with her maturity.” After tapping Twin Elms VU Java Bree, the first-place Fall Yearling as his Junior Champion and Cutting Edge A Ruby as his Reserve, Judge Trapp continued with his comments. “It’s close and when it’s close I like to go with maturity. And this Fall Yearling has dairy strength, is a modern heifer, and straight and strong naturally and a very fitting champion. She goes over the Fall Calf with a hint more dairyness; she’s longer and cleaner through the neck than the Fall Calf. The Fall Calf over the Spring Yearling is straighter and stronger over the topline, especially in the loin area.”
Exhibited by Blessing Farms of Fort Wayne, Indiana, the Junior Champion is a September 2013 Java daughter out of an All-American nominated dam. She was bred by Mark Huebner of Iowa. The Reserve Junior Champion Cutting Edge A Ruby was purchased this summer in the National Convention Sale by John and Bonnie Ayars and Dr. Kenny Manion of Mechanicsburg, Ohio. Sired by Cutting Edge W Austin ET *TM, she is backed by a 90-point Party Boy dam with records to 30,380M and All- American honors. The Honorable Mention Spring Yearling, M & M Total Shotski is sired by Total and bred and owned by Matt, Megan, Jake and Levi Stuessel of Alma Center, Wisconsin.
Elite Dairy of Copake, New York, was again named Premier Breeder & Exhibitor of the Heifer Show.
The following morning, Judges Trapp and Foss had an additional 170-plus cows to sort through as exhibitors from across the nation and Canada paraded the best of the best before them. Outstanding classes of young cows didn’t make the job easy, but in the end the judges chose the Senior Two- Year-Old as their choice for Intermediate Champion. “For Intermediate Champion, it’s no secret that we like the Senior Two-Year-Old. It’s no secret she makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. She’s long and clean [with] tremendous dairy strength. For me that’s what a Senior Two-Year-Old should look like in the Brown Swiss breed - great open rib design and a fabulous udder with great veination. She goes over the Senior Three-Year-Old that will be Reserve. The Senior Two is just a little cleaner through the head and neck. Reserve over Honorable Mention is the advantage to mammary and two calves over that Junior Two-Year-Old that has so much potential.”
Cutting Edge T Delilah is owned by Kyle Barton of Ancramdale, New York. The 89-point All-American nominated first-prize Senior Two-Year-Old was also Intermediate and eventual Grand Champion of the Junior Show. Having previously won at Harrisburg as well, this Cutting Edge Thunder *TM daughter is out of a ‘2E92’ All-American dam. Reserve Intermediate Champion honors went to Bittersweet Legacy Daisy Dukes, bred and exhibited by Troy and Lindsey Nevil of New Glarus, Wisconsin. The 90-point Legacy daughter is out of a Very Good Etvei *TM dam backed by a ‘2E92’ granddam. Top Acres Garbro S Wish ET was the first-place Junior Two-Year-Old and Honorable Mention Intermediate Champion. She is owned by Larry and Jennifer Meyer of Chilton, Wisconsin.
Senior and Grand Champion honors went to Brown Heaven Glenn Fantasy, bred and owned by Ferme Brown Heaven of Vercheres, Quebec, Canada. Reserve Senior and Grand Champion was Top Acres Supreme Wizard ET, bred and owned by Wayne E. Sliker of St. Paris, Ohio. “Like I said, when these Five-Year-Olds came in the ring they just lit us up. We both love these cows, they are tremendous cows, great representatives of the breed, tremendous uddered cows. This Senior Two-Year-Old will have her day in the sun and she had a great day in the sun today.”
The Canadian Five-Year-Old is a returning winner to the colored shavings with the 2014 All-American 4-Year-Old title and first-place 4-Year-Old at Expo in 2014. Sired by Schamaun BS Gordon Glenn ET and out of multiple generations of Excellent and Very Good dams in Canada, she has production records over 30,000M as well. The Reserve Grand Champion and second-place Five-Year-Old is a ‘2E93’ All-American Supreme daughter with multiple records over 25,000M and 1,450F. From the ‘World of Whizzbang,’ she and her sister were also the winning Produce of Dam. The Intermediate Champion, Cutting Edge T Delilah, was named Honorable Mention for owner Kyle Barton.
The Total Performance and Nasco Type & Production Award winner was Jonlee Secret Langwathby, owned by Dalton Freeman of Bremen, Indiana. The Cutting Edge Secret ET *TM ‘EX91’ daughter has 4-00 300D 3X 40,820M 5.1% 2,080F 3.5% 1,444P and was a 2014 All-American nominated 4-Year-Old.
Ohio won the State Herd banner with multiple high-placing winners. Random Luck Farm of Darlington, Wisconsin, took home the Premier Breeder banner and Elite Dairy of Copake, New York, was awarded the Premier Exhibitor banner. Old Mill WDE Supreme ET was once again the Premier Sire of the show.
Spring Heifer Calves (32)
1. Topp-View Megatron Verity, Keaton & Kinley Topp, Botkins, OH; 2. Brown Heaven Bloom Bublegum, Ferme Brown Heaven, Vercheres, QC; 3. Blessing Thunder Tracy, Suton & Dakota Paulson, Arlington, WI; 4. Jenlar Carter Trix Twin, Brianna Meyer, Chilton, WI; 5. Cutting Edge JP Lil Deb, Mikey Barton, Ancramdale, NY; 6. Autumn Creek Durham Sierra, Nicholas Love, Scottdale, PA
Winter Heifer Calves (38)
1. MD-West-View Sapphire ET, Noah Iager, Boonsboro, MD; 2. Top Acres HP B Wizer ETV, Golden States Swiss – C Regusci, T Voegeli, L Oliveira, Arlington, WI; 3. Blessing August Fallon, Blessing Farms, Fort Wayne, IN; 4. Logan Valley Flashing Star, Aaron Johnson, Blair, WI; 5. Red Brae SPA Seaman Diamond, Calli Storms, Muscoda, WI; 6. Bo Joy Tanbark Glenda ET, Robert & Joyce Wagner, Quarryville, PA
Fall Heifer Calves (37)
1. Cutting Edge A Ruby, John & Bonnie Ayars and Kenny Manion, Mechanicsburg, OH; 2. Jenlar Jongleur Winnie, Brianna Meyer, Chilton, WI; 3. Bo Joy Tanbark Jaicee ET, Brooke M Clark, Cornish Flat, NH; 4. Blessing Osborn T Taylor, Caylee Nicole James, Lagrange, WI; 5. Bo Joy Bonanza Geena, Robert & Joyce Wagner, Quarryville, PA; 6. Rad-ical Show Ring Ready ETV, Lindsey Rucks, Okeechobee, FL
Summer Yearling Heifers (18)
1. Get-R-Done King Pin Ginnie, Craig Walton and Donald Harwood, Quarryville, PA; 2. Cutting Edge HP Tan Buffy ET, C & J Hill, Ferme Blondin & K Whitman, Thurmont, MD; 3. Cutting Edge CP Polly, Ken Main and Peter Vail, Copake, NY; 4. Wright-Way Tierra Siesta, Lookout and Gerald Halbach, Canton De Hatley, QC; 5. Ole Acres HH Stevie Nicks ET, Ryan Olson and Nick Uglow, Watertown, WI; 6. Cutting Edge T Kailee, Blessing Farms and Bob Osborn, Fort Wayne, IN
Spring Yearling Heifers (20)
1. M & M Total Shotski, Matt & Megan Stuessel, Alma Center, WI; 2. Arethusa Whiskey Nordica ET, Lookout Holsteins & Jerseys, Canton De Hatley, QC; 3. Cutting Edge B Sonny, Ken Main and Peter Vail, Copake, NY; 4. Dublin-Hills Sera ET, Terri Packard & Cynthia Warner, Boonsboro, MD; 5. Sun-Made HP Wndt Tobie ET, Richard Sparrow, Owenton, KY; 6. Cherry-Crest C Pnut, Dylan Coleman, Ronks, PA
Winter Yearling Heifers (15)
1. WF Royal Rhythm Snicks ET, Frankenberg and Smith, Blossom, TX; 2. Christys-BM KJ Desire, Gregg Christianson and Bill Medo, Bonduel, WI; 3. Vogrin Renagade Why Not Me, Tammy Voegeli and Louis Oliveira, Arlington, WI; 4. Round Hill Wonder Fenway ET, Cynthia L Warner, Frederick, MD; 5. Red Brae DAA Java Jessica, Elise Bleck, Muscoda, WI; 6. Twinkle-Hill Cadence Oakley, John & Dee Winkelman, Watertown, WI
Fall Yearling Heifers (14)
1. Twin Elms VU Java Bree, Blessing Farms, Fort Wayne, IN; 2. Cutting Edge T Tracy ET, Overstreet Dairy LLC, Arlington, WI; 3. Peach Kist Me In The Rain, Jenna L. Smith, Martinsburg, PA; 4. Blessing Pepper Frankie, Blessing Farms, Fort Wayne, IN; 5. M & M Kingpin Jodee, Bradner Farms, Abbotsford, BC; 6. Prime Time Titanium Bella ET, Joshua & Larry Geiwitz, Volant, PA
Junior Best Three Females (6)
1. Ken Main & Peter Vail, Copake, NY; 2. Matt, Megan, Jake & Levi Stuessel, Alma Center, WI; 3. Robert & Joyce Wagner, Quarryville, PA; 4. Blessing Farms, Fort Wayne, IN; 5. Larry & Jennifer Meyer, Chilton, WI; 6. Armbruster Bros Farms Inc, Muscoda, WI
Dry Cows (2)
1. Old Mill P Delottie, Amanda Bassler, Sarasota, FL; 2. Random Luck L Talula, Matthew G Thompson, Darlington, WI
Yearling Heifers in Milk (7)
1. Bradner Jongleur Pastime, Bradner, Ashcroft, BC; 2. Riedland Faust Pastel, Shawn Banowetz, Charlotte, IA; 3. Blessing Braiden Fashion, Blessing Farms, Fort Wayne, IN; 4. Brown Heaven J Fancy, Ferme Brown Heaven, Vercheres, QC; 5. Kruses Astronaut Janelle, Rick Kruse, Earlville, IA; 6. Daveco Braiden Elsa, Jill Cowles, Roberts, WI
Junior Two-Year-Old Cows (22)
1. Top Acres Garbro S Wish ET, Larry & Jennifer Meyer, Chilton, WI; 2. Top Acres Peppy Wizella, Ken Main and Peter Vail, Copake, NY; 3. New View T Chatty, Troy Wendorf & Rodney Bohnhoff, Ixonia, WI; 4. Top Acres Garbro Winney ET, Blessing Farms and Garrison Bros., Fort Wayne, IN; 5. Red Brae Faust Liberty, Calli Storms, Muscoda, WI; 6. Jo-Dee Kingpin Raisin-Hell, Ronald R Kelm, Markesan, WI
Senior Two-Year-Old Cows (22)
1. Cutting Edge T Delilah, Kyle Barton, Ancramdale, NY; 2. Dublin Hills Shaeley ET, Fairdale Farm LLC and R & D Hill, Owenton, KY; 3. Blessing Bonanza Kellie, Blessing Farms, Fort Wayne, IN; 4. Cutting Edge W Amber ET, Lindsey Rucks, Okeechobee, FL; 5. Jo-Dee Rosco Sangria, Ronald R Kelm, Markesan, WI; 6. Kruses Victor Jiterbug ET, Rick Kruse, Earlville, IA
2015 World Dairy Expo International Futurity (6)
1. Top Acres Garbro S Wishes ET, Blessing Farms and Garrison Bros., Fort Wayne, IN; 2. Arethusa Supreme Nor-Easter ET, Arethusa Farm LLC, Litchfield, CT; 3. Cutting Edge Tea Adeen, Ken Main and Peter Vail, Copake, NY; 4. Jo-Dee Rosco Shotski, Jo-Dee Swiss, Tillamook, OR; 5. Kruses Victor Jillette ET, Nathan Goldenberg, McGregor, TX; 6. M & M Nemo Shania, Matt & Megan Stuessel, Alma Center, WI
Junior Three-Year-Old Cows (16)
1. Nor Bella Paul Eve, Nor Bella Acres Inc., Troy McConnell, Kincardine, ON; 2. R N R Lebron Emily, Ronald & Renee Michalovich, Lakeville, OH; 3. C & A Sweet Wonderment Ruth, Ashley Swenson, Nicollet, MN; 4. Jo-Dee Rosco Shotski, Jo-Dee Swiss, Tillamook, OR; 5. Twinkle-Hill Carter Alexia, Jeannie M. Winkelman, Watertown, WI; 6. Daveco Vigor Firework ET, Jill Cowles, Roberts, WI
Senior Three-Year-Old Cows (22)
1. Bittersweet Legacy Daisy Dukes, Troy & Lindsey Nevil, New Glarus, WI; 2. Fulp Agenda Snickers ET, Ken Main and Peter Vail, Copake, NY; 3. Whitland Trump Snowup ET, Justin Whitney, Fort Ann, NY; 4. Cutting Edge Stratus Sue, Ken Main and Peter Vail, Copake, NY; 5. CIE Wittspride Tinker Tonja, Goldfawn Farms, McGregor, TX; 6. Random Luck PT LG Papaya ET, Meghan Douglas, Darlington, WI
Four-Year-Old Cows (15)
1. CIE Double W Em Favor. Ken Main and Peter Vail, Copake, NY; 2. Kar-Linn Wondrmnt Reese ET, Kar-Linn Swiss and Jeff Brown, Jackson Center, OH; 3. Random Luck B Tea Rose, Allison L Thompson, Darlington, WI; 4. Random Luck S Peekaboo ET, Meghan Douglas, Darlington, WI; 5. Random Luck Legacy Poetry ET, Goldfawn Farms, McGregor, TX; 6. New View W Opra ET, John & Bonnie Ayars and Kenny Manion, Mechanicsburg, OH
Five-Year-Old Cows (17)
1. Brown Heaven Glenn Fantasy, Ferme Brown Heaven, Vercheres, QC; 2. Top Acres Supreme Wizard ET, Wayne E. Sliker, St. Paris, OH; 3. Alfa Creek Parker Victory, Keaton Topp, Botkins, OH; 4. Bradner Terrie Wonderment ET, Bradner Farms, Abbotsford, BC; 5. Jo-Dee Wonderment Nuclear ET, Ken Main and Peter Vail, Copake, NY; 6. Volks Pollyden Rita, Richard, Ben, Joe & Kirby Sparrow, Owenton, KY
Aged Cows (6)
1. Eloc Wagor Kandid, Ken Main and Peter Vail, Copake, NY; 2. Cutting Edge B Gretchen ET, Ken Main and Peter Vail, Copake, NY; 3. DSKM Davinci Beyonce, Deanna Fluty, Bloomington, IL; 4. Topp-View Rhythm Trixy, Topp-View Swiss, Botkins, OH; 5. Johann Glowing, Madelyn Topp, Botkins, OH; 6. Prelude Lilly Sierra Misty, Signature Swiss, Hadley, MA
Component Merit Class (13)
1. Grassland Speedy, Topp-View Swiss, Botkins, OH; 2. Random Luck Prem Talent ET, Richard Thompson, Darlington, WI; 3. Top Acres Supreme Wisp, Wayne E. Sliker, St. Paris, OH; 4. Jo-Dee Ensign Rosebud, Jodi J Coppini, Tillamook, OR; 5. Old Mill Amazing Grace, Bradner Farms, Ashcroft, BC; 6. R N R Brookings Vera, Renee Michalovich, Lakeville, OH
Best Three Females (6)
1. Ken Main and Peter Vail, Copake, NY; 2. Richard Thompson, Darlington, WI; 3. Jodi J Coppini, Tillamook, OR; 4. Blessing Farms, Fort Wayne, IN; 5. Voelker Swiss Farms, Perryville, MO; 6. Allen Bassler, Sarasota, FL
Produce of Dam (6)
1. Wayne E. Sliker, St. Paris, OH; 2. Richard Thompson, Darlington, WI; 3. Steve Blessing, Ft. Wayne, IN; 4. Richard Thompson, Darlington, WI; 5. Ken Main and Peter Vail, Copake, NY; 6. Larry & Jennifer Meyer, Chilton, WI