2014 International Show Report
The International Show was certainly a “Designer Dairy” production with graphic backdrops, international spectators, red colored shavings, exhibitors from across the country and spectacular cattle. Fellow Ohio judges and friends, Eric Topp of Wapakoneta and Sherry Smith of Glenford, had the best seat in the house as 358 Brown Swiss paraded across the colored shavings during the two day event the first week of October at the World Dairy
During the first day, Topp and Smith sorted through seven classes of 177 heifers and dry cows that had 16 to 30 plus head in each class. When the top two from each class re-entered the ring for Junior Champion, Topp was full of praise for the quality of animals exhibited by breeders from across
the country and Canada. The two judges narrowed their decision down to the fancy, very correct fall calf from Texas, Cutting Edge T Tracy ET. Purchased by Overstreet Dairy LLC, Chillicothe, Texas, in the National Convention Sale this past June, the very dairy calf was already a proven winner
having garnered junior champion honors at the Minnesota and Wisconsin State Fairs earlier in the season. Bred by Ken Main and Peter Vail of Copake, New York, the Sunnyisle Total ET *TM September calf is out of the ‘2E94’ multiple All-American Dublin-Hills Treats with lifetime totals over
It was the first-place Spring Yearling from Connecticut, owned and bred by Arethusa Farm LLC of Litchfield, that took the Reserve Junior Champion honors. Arethusa Braiden Nadia is a March 2013 Braiden daughter out of an award-winning All-American James that is a daughter of the ‘2E93’ Valligrove Jetway Nora.
Ken Main and Peter Vail of Copake, New York, were awarded the Premier Breeder and Exhibitor of the Heifer Show banners, having bred or owned five of the heifers in the top couple of spots of their respective classes, with many more representing the Cutting Edge prefix and Elite Dairy in the top 10 of the class rankings.
The next morning brought out an abundance of high-quality young cows as the yearlings in milk, two-year-olds, and three-year-olds paraded through the ring. Five animals were pulled out for contention of the Intermediate Champion banner by Judge Topp and his associate, Sherry Smith. Topp commented on the quality of animals all the way down the line in all the classes before discussing the incredible mammary systems and tremendous feet and legs on their top five. “We just admire the size on the senior two-year-old, those junior threes are the epitome of dairyness, and the senior threes are two cows that are different but we have to admire both of them,” he said before having Associate Judge Smith congratulate the champions. On the sidelines, owners Ken Main and Peter Vail were all smiles as Cutting Edge Elite Fayann, the first-prize Junior Three-Year-Old, was named Intermediate Champion and eventually Honorable Mention Grand of the show. The Wonderment daughter is scored ‘VG88’ with over 16,000M in 281 days at 2-03. She is out of a 91-point Mort Jade Starbuck daughter backed by a multiple All-American and Total Performance winning 94-point dam.
Reserve Intermediate Champion was the second-place Junior Three-Year-Old, Old Mill Goliath Tiffany, exhibited by Brittany Thompson of Blacksburg, Virginia. Also the first-place International Futurity winner, the 89-point Goliath daughter is backed by two Very Good dams. The Senior Two-Year-Old, New View W Witchy ET, owned by Lucas Ayars of Mechanicsburg, Ohio, was tapped for Honorable Mention.
After an outstanding exhibition of mature cow classes and the selection of the Junior Show Champions, the traditional procession of the New Glarus Jodlerklub, followed by the winners of the mature cow classes, Intermediate and Junior Champions kicked off the Senior and Grand Champion selections. After Judges Topp and Smith had sent all but four of the winners to the wall, remaining for contention of Senior Champion were the two four-yearolds and two aged cows. Topp’s comments when he took the mic were, “It has been a terrific cow show. This is what we like: sharp, dairy, angular, wearing lovely mammary systems with tremendous feet and legs, and we love the femininity.” It was the aged cow that was tapped for the Senior Champion honors, followed by the two four-year-olds for Reserve and Honorable Mention. “I don’t know what you’d like to change about that aged cow,” said Topp, “she exhibits balance from end to end and stand behind her and her udder makes you just want to cry. It’s so high and wide and she has great feet and legs. She goes over the four-year-old who isn’t the biggest but just not as quite as opened ribbed.”
Eloc Wagor Kandid ‘3E93’, owned by Ken Main and Peter Vail, was the first-place Aged cow and named Senior Champion and Grand Champion of the show. Grand Champion at the Eastern National and Supreme Champion at the New York State Fair, she has 4-02 305D 25,192M 1,120F 921P and is sired by Hanny Swiss Ace Wagor.
The 2013 Reserve All-American Jr. Three-Year-Old and Grand Champion of the Royal and this year’s first-place Four-Year-Old, Brown Heaven Glenn Fantasy, was tapped for Reserve Senior Champion and Reserve Grand Champion honors. Bred and owned by Brown Heaven of Vercheres, Quebec, she is sired by Schamaun BS Gordon Glenn ET and has a 2-04 305D 19,753M 825F 734P record. She is backed by seven generations of Very Good and Excellent dams. Jo-Dee Nemo Risky, owned by Jodi Coppini of Lowville, New York, was the second-place Four-Year-Old tapped for Honorable Mention Senior Champion.
The Total Performance Award was given to Kruses Four M Jason Sherry, owned by Ken Main and Peter Vail. Second in the Component Merit class, she has 6-00 365D 26,740M 5.6% 1,488F 3.8% 1,024P and is scored ‘2E92’. She is sired by Siegerts Sun-Made Jason ET and backed by two Excellent dams.
The Nasco International Type and Production Award was presented to Top Acres Bonanza Whisp ET, owned by Wayne E. Sliker and Christopher Durbin of St. Paris, Ohio. Scored 91 points, she is sired by Bonanza with 3-05 365D 26,874M 6.7% 1,819F 3.4% 905P. The next dam is a ‘2E93’ daughter of Whizzbang, the multiple All-American and Total Performance winner.
Premier Breeder of the show was Jodi Coppini of Lowville, New York. Premier Exhibitor went to Ken Main and Peter Vail.
Premier Sire of the show was Top Acres C Wonderment ET.
Following are the top six in each class:
Spring Calves (31)
1. Dublin Hills Sera ET, Aimee L Liller and Dr. Matthew Iager, Woodsboro, MD; 2. M & M Total Shotski, M & M Swiss - Matt, Megan, Jake & Levi Stuessel; Alma Center, WI (B&O); 3. Cutting Edge B Sonny, Ken Main and Peter Vail, Copake, NY; 4. Blessing Bosephus Mckinley, Shannon Garrison, West Salem, OH; 5. CIE Hylight L Magnificent, Elizabeth Hyman, Adams, NY; 6. RNR Tanbark Princess, Ashlee Heath (lease) and Ron & Renee Michalovich, (owners) Lakeville, OH
Winter Calves (31)
1. Blessing Tanbark Fanny Twin, Blessing Farms – Caid Blessing, Fort Wayne, IN (B&O); 2. Kar-Linn Gib Rumble, Kar-Linn Swiss & Jeff Brown, Jackson Center, OH; 3. Vogrin Renegade Why Not Me, Tammy Voegeli and Louis Oliveira, Arlington, WI; 4. Waldeck Vigor Matilda, Ariel Waldeck, Upton, KY; 5. Red Brae DAA Java Jessica, Elise Bleck, Muscoda, WI; 6. Miss Braiden Sage, Arielle Chard and Steve Wagner, Quarryville, PA
Fall Calves (30)
1. Cutting Edge T Tracy ET, Overstreet Dairy LLC, Chillicothe, TX; 2. Cutting Edge Thunder Faye, Lauri Beggs, Ogdensburg, NY; 3. M & M Kingpin Jodee, M & M Swiss – Matt, Megan, Jake & Levi Stuessel; Alma Center, WI (B&O); 4. Locin Braiden Silk, Locin Farm, Marysville, OH; 5. Strans Legacy Dirty Dancer, Mallorie R Dietz, Owatonna, MN; 6. Alpine Echo Brdn Java, Amy Schultz, Dakota, IL
Summer Yearlings (23)
1. Top Acres Peppy Wizella, Ken Main, Peter Vail and Frank & Diane Borba; Copake, NY; 2. Topdimark Flash Adeline, Elise Regusci, Modesto, CA (B&O); 3. Precious B Priceless, Meghan Douglas L. and Random Luck, Voegeli, Riedland; Darlington, WI; 4. Cutting Edge T Riva ET, Just So Farm, Lake Mills, WI; 5. Browns Gildas Gigi, Amber Dammen, Argyle, WI; 6. Brook Hollow Smooch, Ken Main and Peter Vail, Copake, NY
Spring Yearlings (25)
1. Arethusa Braiden Nadia, Arethusa Farm LLC, Litchfield, CT (B&O); 2. Beu Dell Precious Adele, Sara Harn, Brooklyn, WI; 3. Top Acres Braiden Sachet, Ken Main and Peter Vail, Copake, NY; 4. Daveco Sal Foxy Lady, Jill Cowles, Roberts, WI; 5. Cutting Edge B Snowey, Jeff Stephens & Jeff Woods, Hamilton, ON; 6. Terra Rose A Santana ET, Arielle Chard, Quarryville, PA
Winter Yearlings (21)
1. Cutting Edge W Fly N Flip ET, Taryn True, Perry, NY; 2. Hoodstead Total Promise ET, Nicole L Hood, Middletown, MD (B&O); 3. Kruses Victor Jiterbug ET, Rick Kruse, Earlville, IA; 4. Dublin Hills Shaeley ET, Noah C. Iager, Boonsboro, MD; 5. Power Line Lebron Faith ET, Louis Oliveira & Suton Paulson, Arlington, WI; 6. Cutting Edge T Delilah, Kyle Barton, Ancramdale, NY
Fall Yearlings (16)
1. North Lanes L Poofy, Chelsea Skidmore, Union City, OH; 2. Vogrin Pepper Woodsy OCS, Tammy Voegeli and Louis Oliveira, Arlington, WI (B&O); 3. Dan Maur Frontier Samara, Daniel & Maureen Baginski, Othello, WI; 4. Twinkle-Hill Carter Dixon, Mitchell Schroepfer, Watertown, WI; 5. Brook Hollow Hot Tropic, Blessing Farms, Garrison Bros., Bob Osborn, & Rex Mort; Fort Wayne, IN; 6. Precious B Pretty ET, Elise Regusci, Modesto, CA
Junior Best Three Females (6)
1. Ken Main and Peter Vail, Copake, NY; 2. Blessing Farms, Fort Wayne, IN; 3. Tammy Voegeli, Arlington, WI; 4. Armbruster Bros. Farms, Inc., Muscoda, WI; 5. James D. & Rebecca Beutel, Brodhead, WI; 6. Abbie Kuhlman, Rome, PA
Yearling Heifers in Milk (11)
1. Bo Joy Ensign Miss Gee ET, Robert & Joyce Wagner, Quarryville, PA (B&O); 2. R&S Type Wise Citori, Bill & Lynn Vanderham, Hillsboro, IA; 3. Blessing Bonanza Kellie, Blessing Farms – Caid Blessing, Fort Wayne, IN; 4. Random Luck Vision Passion ET, Dan & Angie Rieder and Paul Zimmerman, Monroe, WI; 5. Victory Acres TH Super OCS, Donald Partridge and Leo Vranich DVM, Batavia, NY; 6. VB CV Grand Royal ET, Chris Voegeli, Monticello, WI
Junior Two-Year-Olds (22)
1. Kruses Victor Jillette ET, Goldfawn Farm, McGregor, TX; 2. Jo-Dee Rosco Shotski, Jodi J Coppini, Lowville, NY (B&O); 3. Brook-Lodge W Fireworks ET, Tucker True, Perry, NY; 4. New View Wonder Whiskey, John & Bonnie Ayars and Kenny Manion, Mechanicsburg, OH; 5. Rockstar Carter Fergie, Holly Anderson – Rockstar Genetics, Watkins, MN; 6. Jo-Dee Secret Sade-Dawg, Jodi J Coppini, Lowville, NY
Senior Two-Year-Olds (23)
1. New View W Witchy ET, Lucas Ayars, Mechanicsburg, OH (B&O); 2. Arethusa Supreme Nor Easter ET, Arethusa Farm LLC, Litchfield, CT; 3. Cutting Edge Stratus Sue, Ken Main and Peter Vail, Copake, NY; 4. R N R Brookings Peace, Ron & Renee Michalovich, Lakeville, OH; 5. DJ Wonderment Camalot ET, Lindsey Rucks & Katie Henson, Okeechobee, FL; 6. Arethusa Supreme Northstar ET, Arethusa Farm LLC, Litchfield, CT
International Futurity (13)
1. Old Mill Goliath Tiffany, Brittany A Thompson, Blacksburg, VA; 2. Random Luck S Peekaboo ET, Meghan Douglas, Darlington, WI: 3. Random Luck B Tea Rose, Allison L Thompson, Darlington, WI; 4. Random Luck Legacy Parasol ET, Allards Farm, Inc., Darlington, WI; 5. Jubolant Lady Berretta, Beth
Nelson, Blair, WI; 6. Jo-Dee Rosco Shamrock, Jodi J Coppini, Lowville, NY
Junior Three-Year-Olds (22)
1. Cutting Edge Elite Fayann, Ken Main and Peter Vail, Copake, NY; 2. Old Mill Goliath Tiffany, Brittany A Thompson, Blacksburg, VA; 3. New View W Opra ET, John & Bonnie Ayars and Kenny Manion, Mechanicsburg, OH (B&O); 4. Random Luck S Peekaboo ET, Meghan Douglas, Darlington, WI; 5. Bradner Pasture Bed Time ET, Bradner Farms, Abbotsford, BC; 6. Niermans Bravo Vinrae, Jeff Woods & Rosedale Farm, Oxford, WI
Senior Three-Year-Olds (24)
1. Cutting Edge JP Stacy, Ken Main & Peter Vail, Copake, NY-B&O; 2. R N R Jack Frost, Ron & Renee Michalovich, Lakeville, OH; 3. Random Luck Legacy Poetry ET, Adam, Abbi & Nathan Goldenberg; McGregor, TX; 4. Cutting Edge P Sherry, Mike Barton, Ancramdale, NY; 5. Fairdale Zeus Combo Too, Ben Sparrow, Owenton, KY; 6. R N R Emergency Jera ET, Ron & Renee Michalovich, Lakeville, OH
1. Brown Heaven Glenn Fantasy, Brown Heaven, Vercheres, QC-B&O; 2. Jo-Dee Nemo Risky, Jodi J Coppini, Lowville, NY; 3. Top Acres Garbro Wanda ET, Cynthia Warner, Frederick, MD; 4. Renegade Titanium Sonya ET, Ken Main and Peter Vail, Copake, NY; 5. Top Acres Supreme Wizard ET, Wayne E. Sliker, St. Paris, OH; 6. Random Luck L Talula, Matthew G Thompson, Darlington, WI
1. Cutting Edge B Gretchen ET, Ken Main and Peter Vail, Copake, NY (B&O); 2. Kruses Victor Judy, Rottinghaus, Woods & Sparrow, Owenton, KY; 3. Old Mill RI Wonder Sizzle ET, Rottinghaus, Woods, Trapp & Foss, Madison, WI; 4. Dan Maur Calianna, Richman Farms, Inc., Lodi, OH; 5. Top Acres Bonanza Whisp ET, Wayne E. Sliker & Christopher Durbin, St. Paris, OH; 6. Old Mill Starsky Love ET, Allen & Tammy Bassler, Upperville, VA
Aged Cows (16)
1. Eloc Wagor Kandid, Ken Main and Peter Vail, Copake, NY; 2. Pit-Crew Legacy Tori ET, Pit-Crew Genetics, Cambridge, MN (B&O); 3. Jo-Dee Victor Satisfaction ET, Jodi J Coppini, Lowville, NY; 4. West-Hope Zeus Sydney ET, Lucas Ayars, Mechanicsburg, OH; 5. Random Luck V Precious, Random
Luck, Voegeli, and Riedland; Darlington, WI; 6. Top Acres Express Tahiti ET, Bradner Farms, Abbotsford, BC
Component Merit Class (13)
1. Jo-Dee Prelude Nancy ET, Jodi J Coppini, Lowville, NY (B&O); 2. Kruses Four M Jason Sherry, Ken Main and Peter Vail, Copake, NY; 3. Voelkers Lovery Moe, Dayne Voelker, Perryville, MO; 4. Jo-Dee Ensign Rosebud, Jodi J Coppini, Lowville, NY; 5. Browns Dedras Dutchess, Bradner Farms, Abbotsford, BC; 6. Fairdale Legacy Georgia, Kirby Sparrow, Owenton, KY
Dry Cows (7)
1. Top Acres Supreme Wisp, Wayne E. Sliker, St. Paris, OH-B&O; 2. KB Cutting Edge P Dawn, Voegeli Farm and Hillpoint Partners, Monticello, WI; 3. RFamily Wonderment Fabulous, Alison Ruhl, Abingdon, IL; 4. Random Luck Vision Twyla ET, Blessing Farms, Rex Mort and Bob Osborn; Ft Wayne, IN; 5. Olsons Payoff Taylor, Trygve L. Olson, Black Earth, WI; 6. Hilltop Acres Dty Jazzy ET, Dennis Mashek, Calmar, IA
Best Three Females (9)
1. Jodi J Coppini, Lowville, NY; 2. Pit-Crew Genetics, Cambridge, MN; 3. Ken Main and Peter Vail, Copake, NY; 4. Richard J Thompson, Darlington, WI; 5. RNR Swiss, Lakeville, OH; 6. Rick Kruse, Earlville, IA
Produce of Dam (7)
1. Wayne E. Sliker, St. Paris, OH; 2. Richard J Thompson, Darlington, WI: 3. Pit-Crew Genetics, Cambridge, MN; 4. Ken Main and Peter Vail, Copake, NY; 5. Richard J. Thompson, Darlington, WI: 6. Richard J. Thompson, Darlington, WI