2013 International Show Report
The final entrant of the first class of the International Brown Swiss show in Madison, Wisconsin, caused a round of applause from the crowd as dairy enthusiasts from around the globe paid honor to Old Mill E Snickerdoodle OCS, the 15-year-old living legend. And that began the spectacular two-day event for Judge Richard Hill of Cattaraugus, New York, and his associate, Joe Sparrow of Frankfort, Kentucky, as the Dry Cow class kicked off the show.
The judges had their work cut out for them as 191 heifers and 7 dry cows paraded across the colored shavings on day one. After sorting through the large heifer classes, the judges pulled five of their favorite winners out for Junior Champion consideration. Judge Hill commented on his choices, “Such tremendous, exceptional quality, we couldn’t pull just three.” He then talked about each of the animals standing before him. The first place Winter Calf, Dublin Hills Shaeley ET, exhibited by Noah Iager of Boonsboro, Maryland, was “a gorgeous, clean cut calf,” Hill said. The winning Fall
Calf was next, R Hart Explorer 905, shown by Madalyn Topp of Botkins, Ohio. Hill talked about her beautiful frame and length of neck. He then moved on to his two winning Spring Yearlings, Rose Lane Jetway Damsel ET, exhibited by Lindsey Rucks of Okeechobee, Florida, and Just So T Whiplash,
exhibited by Just So Farm, Lake Mills, Wisconsin, saying, “I love these two from such an outstanding class with tremendous depth.” Rounding out his champion choices was Forfront BNZ Tip Top exhibited by Topp View and Jeff Woods of Botkins, Ohio, the first place Fall Yearling that Hill described as “a heifer that exudes dairy strength with great openness of rib.” After discussing their five choices for champion contention, Hill then walked out and tapped the Fall Yearling for his Junior Champion of the show, followed by the first place Summer Yearling. The Junior Champion fall yearling is sired by Mort Legacy Bonanza and backed by a Jet Pilot dam with over 20,000M. She was also previously the Junior Champion of the Ohio State Fair. Rucks’ Reserve Junior Champion is a Jetway daughter purchased in the National Sale from Tim Navis of Waupun, Wisconsin. She is backed by five Excellent dams.
The cow show commenced early the next morning with large classes of tremendous animals from top to bottom. Judges Hill and Sparrow sorted through the younger cows to name the Senior Three-Year-Olds as their choices for Intermediate and Reserve Intermediate Champion of the show. Topping the Senior Three-Year-Old class was Top Acres Supreme Wizard ET, “E91” the Grand Champion of the Ohio State Fair earlier in the season. The Old Mill WDE Supreme ET daughter is owned and exhibited by Wayne Sliker of New Paris, Ohio. From the “Whizzbang” family, she has 21,236M 1151F 717P at 2-03 365D. Judge Hill praised her for her dairyness and cleanness. Reserve honors went to Dublin Hills Sorina, “E91”, an Old Mill TA Starsky ET daughter with 2-06 365D 21,012M 690F 740P owned by Ken Main and Peter Vail of Copake, New York.
The traditional march of champions is always spectacular especially with the introductory presentation by the yodelers. Once again, the crowd enthusiastically greeted each champion and the famous dry cow as they re-entered the ring for champion contention. Senior and Reserve Senior
honors came down to the judges top Four-Year-Old and Aged Cow. Garnering more champion honors for Main and Vail, Cutting Edge B Gretchen ET, “E93”, was tapped for Senior Champion honors. The four-year-old best bred and owned and best uddered cow is a Mort Legacy Bonanza daughter with 23,097M 1074F 849P at 3-04 333D. Hill praised her for the tremendous width through the chest, along with her width, height and pop of the rear udder. His Reserve Senior Champion honors went to Jo-Dee Ensign Rosebud, “E93”, the first place Aged Cow for similar traits of dairyness, open rib and beautiful udder. Exhibited by Jodi Coppini of Tillamook, Oregon, the R-Hart Simon Ensign ET daughter made 5-01 365D 30,280M 1085F 988P.
As the other class winners moved to the side of the ring, the Intermediate Champions and Junior Champions moved into the center to join the Senior Champions for the selection of Grand and Reserve Grand Champion honors. After consultation and consideration between the two judges, Judge Hill tapped the beautiful Four-Year-Old, Cutting Edge B Gretchen ET for Grand Champion and the Senior Three-Year-Old, Top Acres Supreme Wizard ET for Reserve Grand Champion honor of the 2013 International Brown Swiss Show. Jo-Dee Ensign Rosebud was named Honorable Mention Champion.
Total Performance Winner for the day was V B Hillpoint Pronto Zip ET, “E91”, exhibited by Voegeli Farm of Monticello, Wisconsin. She is a Sun-Made Gar Bro Pronto ET daughter with 5-08 351D 34,094M 1386F 1133P. The Nasco International Type and Production Award was presented to Random Luck Premium Talent ET, bred and owned by Richard J. Thompson of Darlington, Wisconsin. The Top Acres EP Premium ET daughter has 5-07 365D 34,278M 1751F 1193P.
Elite Dairy, owned by Ken Main and Peter Vail, were the Premier Exhibitors of the show. Random Luck, Richard J. Thompson was the Premier Breeder. Premier Sire of the show was Old Mill WDE Supreme ET.
Following are the top six placings in each class.
Spring Heifer Calf (31)
1. Gebert Broker Pumpkin, Cassandra Gebert,Milford, IN-B&O 2. Blessing Mort Osborn S Gin ET, Blessing Farm, Mort,Osborn, Fort Wayne, IN 3. Jo-Dee Kingpin Tuaca, Jodi J Coppini, Tillamook, OR 4. Cutting Edge T Sunbeam ET, Louis Oliveira, Hanford, CA 5. Nolandale Braiden Jerada, Nolandale Farm, Lextington, IL 6. Cutting Edge L Prize ET, Ken Main & Peter Vail, Copake, NY
Winter Heifer Calf (36)
1. Dublin-Hills Shaeley ET, Noah C. Iager, Boonsboro, MD 2. Power-Line Lebron Faith ET, Louis Oliveira & Sutton Paulson, Arlington, WI 3. Osborn Bros Dill 6820, Ryan Olson & Nick Uglow 4. Glad-Ray Tanbark Salsa, K Scott Hood, David Eigenbrode & Kathy Whitman, Middleton, MD B&O 5. Cutting Edge T Delilah, Kyle Barton, Copake, NY 6. Blessing Pepper Doris, Blessing Farms, Fort Wayne, IN
Fall Heifer Calf (35)
1. R Hart Explorer 905, Madalyn Topp, Botkins, OH 2. Vogrin Pepper Woodys OCS, Tammy Voegeli, Arlington, WI B&O 3. Blessing Bonanza Floris, Blessing Farms, Fort Wayne, IN 4. North Lanes L Poofy, John D Powell, Union City, OH 5. Kinderkay Pepper Eden, Webb R. Kress, West Milton, OH 6. Dochaven Pete Snickers, Jeffery McKissick, New Castle, PA
Spring Yearling Heifer (29)
1. Rose Lane Jetway Damsel ET, Lindsey Rucks, Okeechobee, FL 2. Just So T Whiplash, Just So Farm, Lake Mills, WI 3. Jo-Dee Rosco Shotski, Jo-Dee Swiss, Tillamook, OR 4. PA Lyn-Leigh Tic Tac ET, Colton Wayne Hartman, Saint Thomas, PA 5. Graystone Vances Embrace, Steven L. Wagner, Quarryville, PA 6. DSKM D Viper, Justin Reeves, Bloomington, IL
Winter Yearling Heifer (not in milk) (21)
1. PA Lyn-Leigh Denver Topsy, Dylan Coleman, Ronks, PA 2. Schulte Bros Park Ranger ET, Blake Schulte, Watkins, IA 3. Pit-Crew Park Tictactoe ET, Pit-Crew Genetics, Cambridge, MN 4. Blessing Agenda Nicki, Ally Jones, Glasgow, KY 5. Blessing Osborn WD Josie ET, Blessing Farms & Bob Osborn, Fort Wayne, IN 6. Kruses Joey Sugar, Rick Kruse, Earlville, IA
Summer Yearling Heifer (29)
1. Turnpike View Totaly Gorgeous, P. Dustin Horning, Denver, PA 2. Nor-Bert MC Mint Julip ET, Kevin Frye, Logansport, IN 3. Olsons Asp Tanbark Aspiration, Brody Olson, Spring Valley, MN 4. Turnpike View Tan Janelle, Dylan Coleman, Ronks, PA 5. Glad Ray Tanbark Tease, Glad Ray Farm, Kathy Whitman & Chris/Jen Hill, Thurmont, MD 6. Cutting Edge B Never Better, Ken Main, Peter Vail & Bob Gould, Copake, NY
Fall Yearling Heifer (not in milk) (13)
1. Forfront BNZ Tip Top, Keaton & Kinley Topp & Jeff Woods, Botkins, OH 2. Dan Maur Nomad Alexa, Elizabeth Holtcamp, Othello, WA 3. M&M Nemo Shania, Matt & Megan Stuessel, Alma Center, WI 4. Arethusa Supreme Northstar ET, Arethusa Farm LLC, Litchfield, CT 5. Kar-Linn Wondermnt Remedy ET, Kar-Linn Swiss & Jeff Brown, Jackson Center, OH 6. Bridges Whistle Wonderworks, Kelsey Trowbridge, Horse Cave, KY
Jr. Best Three Females (5)
1. Blessing Farms, Fort Wayne, IN 2. Jamie & Jami Hartman, Saint Thomas, PA 3. Ken Main & Peter Vail, Copake, NY 4. DSKM Farm, Bloomington, IL 5. Silver Top Swiss, Morrisville, VT
Yearling in Milk (6)
1. Blessing Parker Tina, Blessing Farms, Fort Wayne, IN-B&O 2. Top Acres Garbro S Wishes ET, Blessing Farm & Garrison Bros., Fort Wayne, IN 3. R N R Brookings Tiara, Ron, Renee and Kevin Michalovich, Lakeville, OH 4. Old Mill Supreme Fudge ET, Allen Bassler & James A. Hammerand, Rectortown, VA 5. Rose Lane Jetway Dee ET, Tim Navis, Waupun, WI 6. Brierwood Crystal Carnation ET, Brierwood Farm, Hillsdale, IL
Junior Two-Year-Old (18)
1. Fairdale Elite Debra, Michael Barton, Copake, NY 2. Dan Maur Dynasty Manda, Daniel & Maureen Baginski, Othello, WA B&O 3. Cutting Edge S Treasure ET, Ken Main & Peter Vail, Copake, NY 4. Bradner Pasture Bed Time ET, Bradner Farms, Abbotsford, BC 5. Random Luck S Peekaboo ET, Meghan Douglas, Darlington, WI 6. Niermans Bravo Vinrae, Topp-View, Botkins, OH
Senior Two-Year-Old (19)
1. Kruses Frontier Jumpy-OCS, Rick Kruse, Earlville, IA-B&O 2. Random Luck Koors On Tap, Joyce Uglow, Watertown, WI 3. Cutting Edge P Sherry, Michael Barton, Copake, NY 4. Random Luck Legacy Poetry-ET, Richard J Thompson, Darlington, WI 5. Rosina Nesta Reba-ET, Jeremy McDonald, Middletown, VA 6. Mill Wheel Galaxy Grace ET, Hayden Hauschildt, Ellsworth, WI
Junior Three-Year-Old (20)
1. Twinkle-Hill PS Amberlee, Jeannie M. Winkelman, Watertown, WI-B&O 2. Brown Haven Glenn Fantasy, Brown Haven, Vercheres, QC 3. Renegade Titanium Sonya ET, Ken Main & Peter Vail, Copake, NY 4. Pit-Crew Wonder Piper ET, Pit-Crew Genetics, Cambridge, MN 5. Top Acres Garbro Wanda ET, Brian Sparling, Ralston, PA 6. Jonlee Secret Langwathby, Dalton Reeman, Bremen, IN
Senior Three-Year-Old (28)
1. Top Acres Supreme Wizard ET, Wayne E. Sliker, St. Paris OH-B&O 2. Dublin-Hills Sorina, Ken Main & Peter Vail, Copake, NY 3. Jo-Dee Nemo Risky, Jodi J Coppini, Tillamook, OR 4. Get-R-Done Braiden Gigi, Craig Walton & Donald Harwood, Quarryville, PA 5. Just So Agenda Chorus, Bradner Farms, Abbotsford, BC 6. Siegerts Dynasty Eleanor, Udderconfusion Dairy Farm, Durand, IL
1. Cutting Edge B Gretchen ET, Ken Main & Peter Vail, Copake, NY-B&O 2. Old Mill RL Wonder Sizzle ET, Rottinghaus, Woods, Trapp & Foss, Madison, WI 3. Dan Maur Cosmo Calianna, Daniel & Maureen Baginski, Othello, WA 4. Old Mill Starsky Love ET, Allen & Tammy Bassler, Rectortown, VA 5. Lee Ann’s Braiden Glitter, Lee-Ann’s Swiss LLC, DeWitt, IA 6. Rose Lane Sherrys Shasta, Ken Main & Peter Vail, Copake, NY
1. Cutting Edge L Taffy, Ken Main & Peter Vail, Copake, NY-B&O 2. Grassland Speedy, Topp-View, Botkins, OH 3. Edencrest Cartoon Lacy ET, Edencrest Swiss, Elmwood, ON 4. Random Luck V Precious, Random Luck, Voegeli, Riedland, Darlington, WI 5. IE Biberstine Coll Rockstar, Keaton Topp, Botkins, OH 6. Kulp Brook Drakar Falon, Ronald R Kelm, Markesan, WI
Aged Cows, Six-Years-Old & Over (14)
1. Jo-Dee Ensign Rosebud, Jodi J Coppini, Tillamook, OR-B&O 2. Topp-View Rhythm Trixy, Topp-View, Botkins, OH 3. Top Acres Supreme Wisp, Wayne E. Sliker, St. Paris, OH 4. Sun Made GB Agenda Persia, Bradner Farms, Abbotsford, BC 5. Old Mill Amazing Grace, Bradner Farms, Abbotsford, BC 6. Kings Mill Premium Josie, Sara Fluty, Bloomington, IL
Dry Cows (7)
1. Old Mill E Snickerdoodle OCS, Allen Bassler, Jr., Rectortown, VA - B&W 2. Forest Lawn Anthem Busy, Ken Main & Peter Vail, Copake, NY 3. V B Kegger Eagle Fanfare, Voegeli Farms, Inc., Monticello, WI 4. Alpine Hills Star Venus ET, Blessing Farms, Mort, Osborn, Ft. Wayne, IN 5. Savage-Leigh Twilight B ET, Ronald Kelm, Markesan, WI 6. Timberline Nels Paradise, Tim Navis & Brierwood Farm, Waupun, WI
Senior Best Three Females (6)
1. Jodi J Coppini, Tillamook, OR 2. Ken Main & Peter Vail, Copake, NY 3. Allen & Tammy Bassler, Rectortown, VA 4. Pit-Crew Genetics, Cambridge, MN 5. Richard J. Thompson, Darlington, WI 6. Brown Heaven, Vercheres, QC
Produce of Dam (10)
1. Wayne E. Sliker, St. Paris, OH 2. Richard J. Thompson, Darlington, WI 3. Ken Main & Peter Vail, Copake, NY 4. Pit-Crew Genetics, Cambridge, MN 5. Bradner Farms, Abbotsford, BC 6. Richard J. Thompson, Darlington, WI