Online Database Tips
Congratulations to all the breeders who have signed up for the Online Database system. Using the online system is much more efficient for registrations.
As with any program, new users have some questions. To help answer some of those questions, check out these Online Tips.
- New users - you must contact the BSCBA office to register your User ID and Password. To access the database your user ID and password must be entered on the database system by office staff. Just call the office at 608- 365-4474 to sign up.
- BSA/PTPR herds - Enter your herdcode immediately. As soon as you log in and select Open or Post Order, you must enter your herdcode (8 digits, no spaces, no dashes) for the BSA rates (including free registrations) to apply. You cannot go back and enter this code later. If you forgot, close that order and begin over. Then select Open Order with the bottom button.
- Registration of ET calves - Embryo ID number is required. You must select embryo transplant on the drop-down multiple birth menu and enter the Embryo ID number or the animal's name will not contain the ET suffix and the corresponding appropriate edits will not be performed.
- Breeder/Owner customer numbers fill automatically. The Breeder, Original Owner and Current Owner customer ID's will fill automatically from the stored information on the animal’s dam upon hitting the Update key. Do NOT enter any information unless registering an RF or ID animal. For IDR animals it will also fill automatically. Only for RF and ID animals should you enter your customer number, i.e. WI2000, not your name.
- Submit Order - when finished entering registration data, Updating to verify data, and hitting the Register button for the last animal, you must go to Open & Post Order (on the left) and then hit SUBMIT ORDER. Until you do this, the order remains open and is not accessible to office staff to complete processing and printing of the certificates.
If you do have a problem, please contact the office at 608-365-4474. A staff member will be happy to help you.
We hope these TIPS will make your next online session a smoother experience. Check the February Bulletin (page 4) for examples of the many Reports available with the online system. Watch next month for testimonials.
As we began last month, we continue with some additional TIPS and suggestions for those using the Online Database System. we hope these Tips will make your online session easier and more enjoyable.
Opening an Order
You must have an order open before you can do any registrations or pedigrees. First you select click on "Open or Post Order" This opens the order screen. It does not open an order. At this point if you are a BSA herd you must enter your herd code immediately. Then you must (click) OPEN ORDER. Only if you had left a previous order open would you select View Orders to continue with that order. You must see an order number at the top of the screen message in the tip box that Order is Open. Now you are ready to Register an animal or run a pedigree.
Registering an Animal
Once you have entered the necessary information (Sex, Birth date, Embryo ID - if ET, Visible ID - tattoo or AIN, Sire ID, Dam ID, and Name) always select UPDATE first as the system does several edits (checks) - check the top box for any errors or problems, then if error free, select REGISTER Do not skip the Update option.
When finished - You must Submit (Post) your order when finished registering or running pedigrees to allow the office staff to finish processing your order and mail the resulting certificates or pedigrees. Normally you do NOT want to leave an order open as you may forget to go back and complete and submit that order. We may impose a rule that orders open over a certain period of time will automatically closed.
If anyone still has questions, someone else probably has the same question. Send or email your questions or comments to the National Office. Answers will be responded to and may be published here.